Saturday, April 25, 2009

Love the Priests, Love the Church (In memory of mommy Glo)

I grew up, as I've said in my testimonial to Ka  Loring Franco, a Mother Theresa Awardee in 2002, surrounded with men and women in cloak. My mom Gloria Cruz Subia and Ate Luming, mom's eldest sister were supporters and benefactors of persons with vocation entering the seminary or the convent to serve the Lord.  A good number of them have successfully finished their studies, ordained or have professed their vows and now occupy coveted positions in the church hierarchy.

My mom was not only a benefactor to them but a surrogate mother too.  She was there anytime these seminarians and postulants need help, personal or otherwise. They were my big brothers or big sisters.  As a young girl, sometimes they will tag me along while going around the barrio conducting part of their immersion requirement   as catechist, community workers, pre-school teachers, parish helpers, etc. I was a silent listener when they talked about their hardships, the struggles they had with their studies, superiors, peers or even their families (I was at times privy to their personal crises, too). I have witnessed attending several priestly ordinations or profession of vows, and installation of assignments.  We were there too visiting them in hospitals when the toil of hard work catches up or  in the seminaries where they were sent back to be taken cared of  because they were not fit anymore to do parochial or missionary duties.

This experience I had with these men and women in my young age had greatly affected me with my dealings with priests and nuns.  I think i had imbibed the role of my mom and my aunt in my little way the support I give to would-be priests and would-be nuns and to my priest and nun friends.  I am proud that my whole family, my husband Monching and children Rj, Ginger and Monique has fully supported me in this endeavor.


My involvement in the church is all the more deepened by my two closest friends and brothers in Christ, Rev. Frs. Anton Pascual and Benny Tuazon. They had exposed me not only with regards to the faith but in community service as well. They are both infectious!!! Their dedication, commitment, selflessness, humility and awareness to the needs of the poor is beyond reproves. 

In early 1998 Fr. Anton approached me to temporarily relieve him as Exec. Director of Simbayanan ni Maria Foundation, Inc. He promised me that it will just be a short stint. He said he would like to have some learning space while embarking on the new job assigned to him as Executive Director of Caritas Manila and he will claim back the position once done.  Since I was a neophyte in community service, he instructed our community organizer to orient me and give me a first hand experience in the community. 

 And baptism of fire it was!! One early morning Russell, our community organizer cum project coordinator, asked me to accompany him survey a community where we will conduct our medical/dental mission. As eager as I was, I gamely accepted. I liked to look  good and make an impression, I put on sandals, jeans and branded shirt we went. I brought a car and parked it in a nearby store and walked a few hundred meters to the meeting area.  Russell was known to the community. People (mothers and kids), upon seeing us followed us happily at the same time calling out to their neighbors announcing that we have arrived. Before we reached the meeting area, we passed by narrow interiors and even within the perimeter walls of some houses. From dry land, the street became wet, then muddy and muddier. I thought maybe we were just taking an easy way to the site. As we reach the end of the pasillo, I saw group of women seated on rickety benches on the muddied pool of water.  We were warmly greeted and given a seat. By this time my sandals and the helms of my jeans were already soaking wet with dirty water with obnoxious stench. I tried to put up a strong front while we were conducting "need analysis", but the foul smell and mud now caked in my feet was just too much to bear. Towards the end of the session, when we were discussing our plans and programs for the community, I felt nauseous and my stomach churning.  I was turning pale. The community noticed it happening and I was on the verge of passing out.  Strong hands literally lifted me up and brought me out of the area.  They profusely apologized but I can't say enough. Once I have breathed fresh air, drank cold water  and regained my consciousness I asked Russell for us to leave.  I felt ashamed. They did not condemn me or made fun of me for my weakness, rather, what I saw in them was genuine concern for me. They comforted me. That's when I realized what Fr. Anton was saying all the time that "there is no poor man however poor who could not give and there is no rich man however rich who would not need".  That experience gave me the strength to take up the challenge of working in the community and it has been my resolve since then.

Working in a Parish Office was farthest to my mind. Fr. Anton when he was our parish priest, never invited me to work in the parish. He knew then perhaps that I am not cut for such kind of work. I was a corporate person. But Fr. Benny when he became the parish priest of St. Alphonsus Mary de Liguori in Magallanes, thought otherwise.  He knew what to do.. "niligawan nya ang asawa ko, si Monching" before he talked to me and convinced me to work with him in the parish as a volunteer. I never knew that parish work could be very fulfilling and rewarding and at times challenging . Working in the parish with the team of volunteers and church workers make us an alter ego of the priest. We help the parish priest run the parish office, coordinate with the lay leaders with regards to the programs and activities of the church, process documents for sacramental requirements, assist in the day to day operation of the parish, help take care in the preservation of records and assets of the church, answers questions that pertains to the policies and procedures, etc. One important message that Fr. Benny has time and again hammering into our heads is that we as workers in the church must always be a messenger of truth. Our very presence should help deepen the faith of the church goers and project an image of compassion, tranquility and humility. Fr. Benny said we are the frontliners we should serve with charity in order to bring people closer to God. Now I fully understand what he meant when he said "our work is our ministry".

I owe my mom a lot for making me of who i am now. The legacy she left  imprinted in me the love and respect for the servants of the Lord.  And I wish I could also be like my mom who is worthy of emulation by my children and grandchildren.



No comments:

Post a Comment